Monday, 12 May 2014

As we edge ever closer to the biggest day in Scotland for generations, it still saddens me that neither side of the campaign have really presented any facts or firm policies to back up their end of the debate, and have instead opted to attack and seek to discredit individuals within the opposition.

I am firmly of the conviction that by Voting No, and thus seeking to keep Scotland as part of the United Kingdom, I am acting in the best interests of not only Scotland, but the UK in it's entirety.

I am not opposed to Independence as a concept for Scotland, however, before I could even consider this as an option, I would need to see some real granular details of how Scotland would look, in the event a Yes vote was carried. Unfortunately, the Yes Campaign quite simply have failed to do this, and with so many unanswered questions, I just cannot find a single argument I really agree with.

Despite being critical and key to every Scot voting, there is no real idea about what currency Scotland would use in the event of separation, continued debate around Scotland's membership of the EU, and so many worries and concerns about jobs, both in the public, and private sectors. And these are really only the tip of the iceberg. I have popped some very high level thoughts below, which hopefully can attract some debate on what are the key concerns of many:
  • Oil Revenue - With Oil revenues dropping for 13 consecutive years, is this sustainable as a platform going forward?
  • Currency - No firm commitment of what an Independent Scotland will use. UK£? CU? €?
  • EU - So much debate around how membership would look post separation. Several high ranking officials within the EU have repeated on several occasions that it Scotland membership, if even granted, would not mirror the rebates etc the UK enjoys today
  • Education - Will an Independent Scotland really be able to continue offering free University places?
  • Prescriptions - How can this be sustained going forward?
  • Job Security - With 30,000+ jobs in MOD roles alone, surely there will be massive job losses in both Public & Private sector?

I do understand the argument for separation from Westminster at a conceptual level, however, it would be so dangerous to vote for Independence purely on the basis of disengaging from West Minster as a matter of principle, this isn't something we can change our minds about in 6 months time if it all goes wrong. There are many soundbites from the Yes campaign which really, in a nut shell say "It will be all right on the night". To be frank, this isn't good enough. Others have painted a picture of the "Land of Milk & Honey" quite simply because any decisions being made, would be made by Scots, and made in Scotland. I would challenge this theory immediately, why would decisions made in Scotland be any better? I know there have been many problems with our politicians of late, expenses being an obvious example, but do you really think that MSP's will behave with any greater integrity just because they are Scottish? Look at recent hotel scandals with Alex Salmond, and you have your answer. Independence will not solve these issues, and when you consider how much time, effort, and money has been essentially wasted, surely the best way to resolve the unethical behaviour, would be for the UK electorate to challenge the establishment, and seek reform across a whole spectrum of areas?

I am not for 1 seconds suggesting Scotland will not succeed if the country does opt for Independence, I am sure there would be some positives that would come out, however, taking everything into consideration, there are so many risks and unknowns that is just seems like folly to even consider.

We are not an oppressed nation, we are not under threat from government officials, so surely our resources would be far better put to good use working with the rest of the UK and planning a better future for all.

We cannot, and should not forget the centuries of history of our nation, but this vote is a vote for the future, lets not be clouded by the past.


I look forward to reading some of your comments and thoughts, but above all, lets keep the debate firmly on the issues that matter, I have no desire to enter yet another verbal boxing match, being accused of being anti Scottish because of my beliefs.

I am a proud Scot & a proud Brit, and I am very comfortable with both.

Flyerinhiding

No comments:

Post a Comment